Friday, July 15, 2011

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II

So the final Harry Potter film is finally here and I'm sure everyone's asking the exact same question - was it good? In fact, well... yes.

I'll try to make this brief...
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II delivers everything you expect from a Harry Potter film; Extraordinary set pieces, amazing and imaginative creatures, and of course magic in all its forms masterfully realized on screen.

The Good:
+ Flawless visuals - not once do the visual effects falter. If you do find mistakes then good for you. I doubt others will care.
+ Great character development - you'll find yourself cheering as key characters find their individual shining moments (Neville Longbottom's and Molly Weasley's in particular)
+ Goodbye Bellatrix Lestrange and good riddance. If you ask me, it should have looked more painful.
+ ALLELUIA! A CONCLUSION! Oh my god, it's been a long time coming!

The Bad:
- The only thing I really can complain about is how this and, as well as, previous films in the series presume that everyone's up to speed with the mythology. It could have done with a brief summary of what's come before. As it is, it's just not a self-contained movie.
- Though they could have at least shown Dolores Umbridge's imprisonment to Azkaban just for the sheer satisfaction of seeing her in misery.
- So they "age" the actors at the end of the film. The only problem is that it's as convincing as Voldemort's missing nose. It could have been done a bit better.

The film stays consistent with Part 1's grainy look which wasn't apparent in earlier films. Whether this is a stylistic approach or not, I'd like to know. I just can't seem to decide whether I find it favorable or not. Either way, it's there.

THE VERDICT!

Score Card:


Should you see it? Frankly, hell yes. It's well worth it. Even if only to find closure to something you've been following for about a decade. No really, it's quite good.

*As far as 3D's concerned, I didn't bother. Though from what I've seen, I doubt it would be necessary to enjoy the film. It wasn't natively shot in 3D anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment